Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Stash Busting in 2015

Another year gone, and a new one just beginning. The start of a new year always brings with it a sense of hope and determination to meet, if not exceed, all of ones personal goals.

This year I have chosen to join the #sewmystash2015 initiative and cut down the ever-growing list of UFO's and WIP's that are overtaking my sewing space. I'm also joining A Lovely Year of Finishes hosted by Fiber of All Sorts and Sew Bittersweet Designs, in addition to Finish Along 2015 hosted this year by On the Windy Side.

My A Lovely Year of Finishes goal for January is to finish my pink and orange version of Mum's Quilt-As-You-Go pattern, Diamond Advantage. The rows are completed, I just need to join them together and bind the quilt. The first few classes she has done with this pattern have been hugely successful. Once I can find a spare moment to set our Etsy store up the pattern will be available for purchase :)


This will be included in my Finish Along Quarter One list along with:

2. Fox Field Bear Paw: blocks are finished and joined together. Now awaiting borders before I can quilt and bind it. I had been eyeing off the Tula Pink Fox Field charm packs at my LQS for ages but couldn't find a pattern I liked. So in the end I bit the bullet and designed my own. Enter my own mega bear paw variation using charm packs and yardage. The top came together so quickly (just needs borders) that I'm considering writing up a pattern for it...

3. Saltwater quilt: still needing quilting and binding. This is the quarter. I can feel it ;)

4. Mum's socks: haven't even finished the first sock yet (I've been a bit distracted by the fair isle cardigan). In the end I'm using the Victory Sock pattern from the book Toe Up Socks for Everyone. I gave mum my yarn books to look through and that's the one she picked. I wasn't too keen on the pattern when I first started it. But now that I've done one repeat, the pattern is starting to come out nicely and I'm getting pretty excited about it.

5. My second giant Granny Square blanket: I'm currently onto my third out of nine balls of yarn. I'm making this one to be very similar to this one that I made last year, except instead of using multiple yarn colors I'm just using a variegated lime green, olive green, pink yarn. This one will be for my mother who has mentioned on a number of occasions how much she loves the other one I made.

6. Sew Together Bag for mum, and one for me: fabrics are selected, and now just need cutting and piecing. This one 'should' be a quick finish, since I've already made the bag and now know how it all comes together.

7. Voile Shirt: pattern pieces cut out. Now to cut out of the fabric and piece. I haven't used this pattern before, but if it turns out alright I've put fabric aside for another two!

8. Diamonds in the Sky: finish the final rows before quilting and binding. I started this one at the beginning of 2014, and since I have yet to actually finish one of my many EPP quilts I am dying to get this one put together.

9. Iron Caddy for mum, and one for me: I bought us mini travel irons for going to classes etc, and now they just need travel cases which double as mini ironing mats. Since I was having trouble finding the 'ironing board fabric' I decided to cut up a ironing board cover. Amazingly I found a pink one! So excited to use it. Then our pink iron caddies will match our pink mini irons. Cute!!

10. Lochness Velvet Fair Isle Cardigan: back and fronts are completed and I've just cast on sleeve #1. The pattern I am using is free on Ravelry called Velvet Morning. I hadn't planned on starting this one for awhile, but when I visited my LYS I found the perfect yarn for it - The Fiber Company's Knightsbridge. It would have to be my new favorite yarn, and I will definitely be using it again!

Linking up with Fiber of All Sorts #ALYOF and On the Windy Side #Finishalong2015

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your finishes.You have some beautiful projects going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished sewing a flannel shirt using that pattern. It looks good on and wasn't difficult to sew. I spent most of my time altering the darts. It should be cute in voile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects. I'm envious of your long arm, I keep thinking I would have so many more finishes than WIP if I had a long arm but I'm sure that's just not true at all :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great variety of projects. I hope you have fun making them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have some fun projects for Q1! It's my first time joining a finish along and I'm super excited! I'm looking forward to reading your posts about your 2015 finishes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a great list. I especially can't wait to see your iron caddies - I need one of those myself. Good luck getting through it all :-)

    ReplyDelete