Thursday, August 14, 2014

Flowering Snowballs

Despite having a rather long FALQ3 list, I couldn't help but jump on the Flowering Snowball bandwagon. The tutorial I am using is Molly Flanders. I couldn't get her templates to print properly, so I drafted my own up using graph paper to make a 12" finished block. I had started pulling fabrics from my stash to use, but then Patches Indooroopilly restocked their 1930's prints, so naturally they made their way into this quilt.



It didn't take long before all of my wedges were cut out, and after buying 3 meters of off-white all of my background was cut out too. All 42 blocks are now complete and awaiting squaring off before they can be sewn together.


This quilt is so fantastically easy to put together. Because of the soft gradient of the curves, the only pins I need to use are two to line up the seams with the centre square. This means that I can chain piece curves! The only downside to this pattern is that I had to hand cut out all of the pieces, except for the 1" centre squares. A small and worthy inconvenience for such a lovely block!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday.


4 comments:

  1. So pretty! Florals and pastels xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing the flowering snowball as well, I am making a 9 inch block, it was a bit tricky at first...It's all good now. I love this block and can't wait to go back to it. Love the 1930s prints!
    Your blocks look fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern and it looks hard so I'm glad to hear that it's easy to put together. Did you try using the rotary? Just curious, I'm so uncoordinated with scissors but would like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flowering Snowball is on my To Do list. The intimidation factor keeps scooching it down, down, down. Maybe I will try 4 blocks first. Think small (not King-sized)...!

    ReplyDelete