Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 Finish-A-Long Pre-Quarter One

Finish Along 2014

It's that time of year again, and the 2014 Finish-A-Long has begun! This year it is being hosted by the amazing The Littlest Thistle. For those of you that don't know much about this event, its a fantastic way to make yourself accountable to finish those WIP's and UFO's that we all have lying around the place. I have been participating in this event since its creation in 2012, and am looking forward to the pile of finishes I hope come from it again this year.

The pre-quarter linky party is open for a week starting today. Would you like to participate yourself? Here's how!

Step One: Write a blog post with your list of would-be-finishes, or compile them into one image which you post on Flickr. In previous years I have used only Flickr posts, but now I am branching out into blogging :)

Step Two: Link your blog post or Flickr photo to the pre-quarter linky party that is held on The Littlest Thistle's blog.

Step Thee: Start sewing! It's as easy as that. At the end of the quarter, you join another linky party and link up your projects (individually) to the party with photos to show your awesome completed projects!

Did I mention there were prizes to be won? For each finish you link to the linky party (hence the individual links) you go in the draw to win some amazing prizes from some amazing sponsors!

Now that I've gotten all of that info out of the way, I shall get down to my own pre-quarter list of hopeful finishes.

1. Blue and White HST's Quilt. Using Red Pepper Quilt's Charming Triangle's tutorial. This one has been sitting in my sewing room for the last six months. It has a deadline, which is later in the year, but I'm hoping to get a head start on all of those HST's. Especially since I plan on making enough for a second HST quilt using a different design.

 2. My giant granny square crochet blanket. This is an older picture, as this project has been on my FAL pre-quarter lists for all of last year! Since then it has steadily grown, until it is now just over 1m x 1m in size. It still has another few rows to go before I hope to finish it off with a scallop edging. This might actually be the quarter it gets finished!

3. This pile of (mostly) cut fabric is my participation in the Garden Fence QAL. It has been in this state since the QAL started an embarrassingly long time ago. This one has also been on my pre-quarter lists for a long time. Perhaps this quarter I might actually make some progress on it!

4. My precious Tula Pink Saltwater fabric was used in the making of this quilt. It is the Ballerina pattern by Jaybird quilts. And it took me less than one week to put together... after a year of sitting on my sewing table with the pattern carefully tucked into the stack of fat 1/4's so it wasn't lost. Now it only needs to be quilted and bound. It's even hanging on my longarm machine, with backing completed, ready for mum to quilt for me. Sounds easy enough?

5. Kaffe Fasset's stunning modern designs have always caught my eye. And the Shadowbox pattern by Mountainpeak Creations seemed like the perfect way to showcase these large scale prints. So after two months of these fabrics sitting on my table waiting for the Fairy Frost Snow (white) order to arrive at my LQS from the USA, it has now come along rather quickly... until it stalled. Here's hoping the commitment of adding it to my pre-quarter finishing list will break through that barrier and speed it along towards the finish line!

6. Another wool project. This is my partially completed aqua cable bag. The pattern was designed by Jackie O'Brien and can be found in the August 2012 Issue of Country Style. I had started this bag as soon as the issue was released, and after an initial burst of enthusiasm it went onto the backburner. I have done a tiny bit more knitting of it recently, since this photo was taken. Now I am just over halfway through the knitting aspect of this bag. After that I have to hand sew in the lining and hand sew on the leather handles. I would love it if I could finish this bag in time for winter so I can actually use it. It would be even more amazing if I could also knit up another one for my amazing mother in the olive green wool she liked. 

7. This lot of fabric I bought while it was on sale, and corresponds with a red and grey quilt in Camille Roskelley's book Simply Retro. Yet to be started.

8. My tartan bag ready and waiting to be sewn together... for the past six months. The pattern I am using is from a book I borrowed from my local library. I can't remember the name of it right now (I have to go back and borrow it out again for the third time *sigh*).

 9. Cinderberry Stitches Folk Tale fabrics. A lucky find at a discount fabric store where it was marked down to $5.95 per meter. Needless to say I could not pass it up! And now it will soon be turned into a 1+2 Quilt, pattern by Samelia's Mum. Hopefully.

10. Diamond EPP Quilt in denim tones, with a hint of red. Pattern from Tacha Bruecher's HexaGoGo book. This one has been in the works for almost a year now. With three out of 19(?) blocks completed in that time, I think this quilt is worthy of getting some love and attention this quarter. 


Well there you have it. My pre-quarter one list for the 2014 Finish-A-Long. I cannot wait for the quarter to end so I can hopefully say that some (if not all) of these long awaited UFO's have finally been completed. Of course there are tons more projects I could - and probably should have - added to this list. Especially since there are more growing every day. But for now I hope to stick to a potentially manageable list... and potentially manage to complete it!

How about you? What projects have you put on your pre-quarter one list this year?

2 comments:

  1. That an ambitious list and some great piles of fabric as well! Good luck from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, good to see I'm not the only one with eternal roll-overs! Love the idea of leaving things for your mum to quilt too, wish I could do that lol As for #8, maybe photocopy it this time? ;o)

    ReplyDelete